RICHES Internship Blog Post #4

           This week working on my internship with RICHES, I contacted Rebecca to learn more about the piece of metadata that I had decided to work on to get more information about it. Previously, I was trying to look at other documents on the RICHES website for research for the metadata, but it was down because it was not currently working. However, I am thankful that I was able to get in contact with Rebecca. I will be finishing up the metadata this weekend and hopefully will have it nearly finished at the beginning of next week. Today, we also had our meeting to discuss the project we are all working on, called Bending Towards Justice. I am so excited about this project. There have been a few issues. Mainly since I do not have a staff or faculty email address, I cannot log into teams. Teams is the program that everyone is using for this project, however, I am the only one with access only to a student email address. I was instructed today to submit a ticket to IT to see if they will create a staff email for me since I am unable to do my job without it. I also asked Dr. Lester if it would be all right  for IT to contact her if necessary and  that I do need this staff email to do my job. As I had mentioned in a previous blog, I will be working with Dr. Gordon on the legal history of the voting rights for African Americans. I am very interested in this since it is closely related to my thesis.
            During both of our meetings this week, at the beginning we talked about what is going on in Orlando, around the country, and the world. How is it possible to overcome adversity when things seem so bleak?  Tiffany was asked to help compile a reading list of books to help people learn about how we got to where we are today in terms of the strive for justice and equality for African Americans. I had asked if I could recommend a book, I choose to recommend Charleston Syllabus: Readings on Race, Racism, and Racial Violence because of its importance. The book is a collection of essays on the horrendous murders at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston in 2015. This book was edited by three professors, Dr. Chad Williams, Dr. Kidada Williams, and Dr. Keisha Blain. It is important to educate and encourage discourse even if the topic or what is going on is painful because that seems to be the only way to make a change. If I could recommend a second book it would be The Blood of Emmett Till by Dr. Timothy Tyson, who is one of my favorite historians. This book sheds so much light on just how horrible racism is and the extent people were and still are willing to go because of hate. The murder of George Floyd made me so sad this week but it has made me that much more ready to do my thesis. To help educate people that racism is not acceptable.




Tyson, Timothy B. The Blood of Emmett Till. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster, 2017.

Williams, Chad Louis, Kidada E. Williams, and Keisha N. Blain. Charleston Syllabus: Readings on Race, Racism, and Racial Violence. Athens, GA: The University of Georgia Press, 2016.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RICHES Internship Blog Post #5

RICHES Internship Blog Post #2

RICHES Internship Blog Post #7