RICHES Internship Blog Post #11

          This week working on my internship at RICHES, I have continued working on my oral history transcription. The transcription process is quite interesting and I am learning a lot from doing it. I have never had any experience with oral history transcription before this. This past spring semester in Introduction to Public History, our class final project was to work with histories from the Veterans Legacy Project. However, due to the outbreak of COVID-19 we were unable to meet in person for our group final project. So our final project was cut. This was for the most part the only exposure I have had to anything oral history related previously. I am finding that I have to go over parts of it multiple times to make sure I get everything. It is sometimes hard to understand everything because sometimes the person being interviewed laughs while she is speaking, which makes it slightly difficult to understand what she is saying.  It is really interesting that you record noises in the background. The entire process is quite interesting. Overall, it does take quite a long time to completely get through an oral history as far as transcriptions are concerned. Early this week I also received permission from UCF Special Collections and University Archives to send Dr. Lester the draft of the finding aid I created for Special Collections during my last internship. It is really awesome how both of my internships work so well together and have given me so many useful skills and tools for the future. During our Bending Towards Justice meeting today, Dr. Lester even mentioned how she found something that was useful for the first installation of the exhibit, which is Voting Rights and Voter Suppression. What she found was a poll tax receipt for the city of Apopka. I believe she mentioned that they will be getting permission to use that poll receipt for the exhibit. It’s rather exciting that I was able to find something during my previous internship in a collection I was helping to process that would be helpful to a project I would be working on during my second internship. I am really looking forward to seeing how the exhibit turns out. This will be the last internship I do in my Master’s program at UCF since this was my second. I have learned so much real-world practical application during both of my internships and I am really excited to see what the future will hold for me as far as careers go. It has been a great learning experience. In spring 2021 I believe I will be capstoning; following that, I will be starting my thesis. Both of these internships have given me good experience with metadata, which is a tool I will need for my thesis since I will be also doing a digital project. I will need to have lengthy spreadsheets of data from some of my primary sources. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RICHES Internship Blog Post #5

RICHES Internship Blog Post #2

RICHES Internship Blog Post #7