RICHES Internship Blog Post #9

           Over the last two weeks at my internship with RICHES, we continued to work on the Bending Towards Justice Exhibit. Last week, we did not have a blog post due because it was a national holiday for the 4th of July. We all continued on our work for the internship and exhibit though. I had been in correspondence with Dr. Lester about the maps for the court cases. We will use maps that Amy is working on to put on the website for the digital exhibit and attach bios about the court cases on voter suppression and voting rights. We will address this again at the beginning of the next week when Kirk is back to see how to proceed next. When I met with Dr. Gordon this week for my independent studies course I am taking with her, we talked about seeing if someone like Kirk, who is better versed in these digital tools, could perhaps get the little pin drops and timeline done quicker since the deadline and opening of the exhibit is coming up rather quickly.  I also found a list with descriptions online of justice department cases that involve voting rights. I shared the link with everyone that was at the Bending Towards Justice meeting. I think they liked the list of cases so we may use that list and perhaps a few state level supreme court cases, as well. I will write the bios for the exhibit in my own words and cite the website. 

            This week in the RICHES meeting, we discussed our final papers for the internship. Dr. Lester wants us to submit an outline to her next week on our papers. Our final papers will look at how RICHES is upgrading “their open source management system,” which is called Omeka. Soon RICHES will be upgrading to version 2. Using what we learned during this internship and previous experiences with digital archiving, we have been instructed to write a paper with specific instructions of how everyone on the RICHES team can work to organize better or more effectively to make the transition smoother. In today’s meeting, we were instructed to write and create a panel in a Word document to discuss how we would like our portion of the Bending Towards Justice exhibit on voting rights and voter suppression to look like. For example, I will be creating my panel on legal history by looking at court cases. I will suggest in the panel the use of a map with pin drops, with a brief summary of the specific case, as well as a time line of when the cases occurred or when a verdict was reached. I may incorporate photos from, for example, VisualEyes, and I am going to give Mike, Kirk, and everyone else creating the exhibit the best idea possible of what I am trying to get at. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished digital exhibit this fall in October.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RICHES Internship Blog Post #5

RICHES Internship Blog Post #2

RICHES Internship Blog Post #7