RICHES Internship Blog Post #10

           This week working on my internship at RICHES, I started working on my oral history transcription of Sandy Cawthern’s oral history interview. I watched the entire oral history interview; as a result, I got a better understanding of how to transcribe the interview. The information Dr. Lester and Geoff had given Anna and I, regarding how to properly transcribe oral history interviews, has helped a great deal in my understanding since I have never had the opportunity to transcribe an oral history before.  This week, I also have been working on getting permission to send the finding aid I created for the UCF Special Collections and University Archives to Dr. Lester and the rest of the team working on the Bending Towards Justice Project and Exhibit so they can find useful information in the “Carol Mundy Research Files” that might be pertinent to the exhibit. Such information might include information on July Perry or other information on the city of Ocoee and its residents. I am sending in the form today. I was also instructed last week to find a few more Supreme Court cases, both at the state and federal level, that we could potentially use for the exhibit. I found a few more that are relevant to the project. We will also be using a good deal of cases tried by the Justice Department. 

For our meeting today, we were also expected to turn in a panel of what the layout of the portion of the exhibit that each of us are working on might look like or what we would like to see for Kirk, Mike, and anyone else who might be working on the back end of the creation of the exhibit. I chose to use images from my thesis advisor, who is also the Director of Public History, Dr. French’s project on President Thomas Jefferson’s life through VisualEyes as an example of the ideas of what I am trying to get across for my portion of the exhibit. I used images of important parts of the project and put them in the panel. Through these photos of a great project like Dr. French’s VisualEyes project, it is my hope that I could adequately get across the things I believe are important to include in the exhibit to make it less text heavy and more engaging for the public. While we may not use VisualEyes, this specific digital tool makes it easy to compile a lot of information. There are so many useful tools within it. After the meeting this morning, I sent my panel to everyone working on Bending Towards Justice. In the next coming weeks, I will work on my oral history transcription, my final paper, writing up some descriptions on the court cases for the exhibit and going back over and working on the metadata some more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RICHES Internship Blog Post #2

RICHES Internship Blog Post #5

RICHES Internship Blog Post #7